Lorong Koo Chye Sheng Hong Temple Association
The first officer to take charge of Lorong Koo Chye Sheng Hong Temple was Mr Chen Qiu Lai (陈秋来). In 1946, Mr Chen handed the management of the Temple to his nephew Mr Chen Meng Xie (陈孟斜), who subsequently handed the management to his cousin Mr Chen Jin Shan (陈金山) in 1956. The Temple was managed by the family of Mr Chen till 1978. In 1979, the land occupied by the Temple was part of the Government’s broad resettlement plans. A Committee was formed then by the Temple to liaise with the authorities on matters related to the resettlement programme. Concurrently while resolving the resettlement matters, the Temple took the opportunity to also register as a legal entity. In August 1981, Lorong Koo Chye Sheng Hong Temple Association was officially registered with the Registry of Societies. This marked a significant milestone for the Temple as it progressed from a village temple to a registered Association. Since then, the Temple was managed by an Executive Committee and Lorong Koo Chye Sheng Hong Temple was able to efficiently convey its feedback and needs to the authorities. As a registered society, the Temple is under the purview of the Registry of Societies and its operations comply with The Societies Act. The Act of the Registry of Societies guided the Temple to function efficiently and to serve the people. The establishment of Lorong Koo Chye Sheng Hong Temple Association propelled the Temple in moving forward as well as to function as a modern organization in abidance to the Government’s policies and making a progress in society, particularly in its community service and involvements in charity works.
The inauguration ceremony of the 1st Management Committee was held on 12 September 1981. Its motto was “To serve with Integrity and Faith; Acceptance of the Trust entrusted by Members; To abide to Association’s Constitution and Resolution; Unite together to strive for efficiency and progress for the Association”. The Management Committee consisted of a President and a Vice-President, Chairmen and Vice-Chairmen for Finance and General Affairs, 5 Executive Committee Members and 2 Internal Auditors. The Temple also appointed 3 members as Trustees and 2 others as Advisors.
Mr Soon Nga Toh, BBM, was appointed as the President of the 1st Management Committee. This marked the beginning of Lorong Koo Chye Sheng Hong Temple Association as an established organization today.
Sheng Hong Temple Association
The Management Committee continuously strived for improvements in a progresssive society and played an active role to streamline the management of the Temple. Sub-committees such as Liaison, Welfare, Education, Recreation, Temple Affairs, Correspondences etc were formed.
Affected by the resettlement, the Management Committee subsequently resolved and resettled at Arumugam Road in Paya Lebar area (current site), and built the Temple at the site. In 1986, Lorong Koo Chye Sheng Hong Temple was registered as a charitable institution. On 30 August 1988, Mr Lin Cheng Chang (林成昌) handed over the administration and temple affairs to the Association and Lorong Koo Chye Sheng Hong Temple embarked fully on its journey to become an organized entity.
In 1995, the Association’s name was amended to Lorong Koo Chye Sheng Hong Temple Association.
The objectives of the Association are to worship Qing Xi Xian You Bo Zhu (清溪显佑伯主 Sheng Hong Deity); to manage the administrative matters of the Association; and to promote and advance charitable cause. The Association is managed by an elected Committee and it is fully responsible for its daily operations and activities organized by the Temple. In accordance with the Constitution, the Management Committee will serve a 2-year term. Under the umbrella of the Association, subsidiaries and affiliates such as Society of Sheng Hong Welfare Services, Wu Dang Sheng Hong Health Preservation Centre (武当城隍道教养生院), Sheng Hong Arts Institute and Taoist San Qing Gong (Singapore) were established.